Five easy steps to creating your own meditation space
Five easy steps to help you create a meditation space of your own.
1) Select the space in your home It could be a corner in your bedroom or it could be an entire meditation room. Ultimately, it should be somewhere quiet where you will not be disturbed.
2) Add your essentials to your personal space Meditation essentials include a meditation cushion or chair, a blanket or shawl for your shoulders, and a timer or clock.
3) Gather your sacred items. I suggest you to select one thing for each of the five senses; plus something from nature.
Smell – Incense is traditional, but a candle or essential oil works well too. Perhaps you bring a rose in one day as you meditate on your love of nature.
Sound – A simple meditation bell, peaceful meditation music, Tibetan singing bowl, or the audio to a guided meditation.
Touch – Mala beads work nicely as a touch stone to focus on during your meditation.
Sight – Select a meaningful picture or statue of a symbol, image, guru, or saint of your choosing. Be sure to select something or someone that inspires you.
Taste – A glass of water or cup of tea nearby is a nice addition to your daily meditation ritual.
Nature – Don’t forget to include something from nature as one of your sacred items.
4) Now that you have gathered your sacred items, create a small altar. The altar does not need to be anything fancy. For now, you could use a few books with a cloth over it. Place your sacred items onto the altar.
5) Sit. Now, sit in your space and try it out. Add as many cushions, pillows, and blankets to become comfortable.
Don’t be afraid to change it up every now and then. Perhaps while out walking one day, you see a beautiful rock or twig that speaks to you. Use your space as a focal point over a few days.
Select what works for you and don’t be afraid to try different things during different times of the year or parts of your life.